About Me

My photo
I am Steph! I am a 30-something mom and wife. I am Bi-Polar. I am an Autism mom. I work full time outside the home. I overcommit myself every single day. I sometimes wonder how my husband puts up with me on a day to day basis. I have 2 children, one neuro-typical and one not so neuro-typical. I am a hot mess. I am Steph.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Ignorance is not bliss...



Friday morning my son was officially diagnosed medically with Autism and Sensory Processing Disorder.  

This is a long time coming and I can honestly say that I am relieved that we are one step closer to getting things taken care of.  Let's give you a little back story: Around December I started feeling like there was more to Nathan's behavior than just "Terrible Twos" and being a boy. He was not talking, very angry, circling things all the time and just started lining up his cars. The researcher in me started googling and taking quizzes and was left with more questions than ever!  But I was pretty confident that Nathan was Autistic.  Everything added up and I will be honest, I was kind of happy that I had some ideas as to why he was different.  Obviously I took my questions to his Ped and step after step we have finally gotten the official answer!  So, I have officially joined the exclusive group of Autism Mothers.  However, during my research I have read many articles where parents talk about how devastating it is to hear that your child is Autistic. 

I guess I just don't get it.  Am I weird?? 

Autism is not the end of the world, it is not a death sentence, it is not some horrible disease. Nathan does not suffer from anything. He is a curious 2 1/2 year old boy who deals with things and learns differently than you and I, but he is not suffering. 

Yes it is hard at times to care for him, but it is not a tragedy. God chose me to be his mother for a reason, and it annoys me when people feel sorry for us because we have a special needs son. 



BTW, I do believe that ignorance is truly a tragedy! :-)




Until Next Time......

No comments:

Post a Comment